David Ng’s presentation about crowdsourcing was informative, entertaining and super creative. I almost didn’t attend this presentation (I wanted to go to Photocamp… and I was hesitant to hear from a scientist), but David told interesting — and oftentimes funny — stories to flesh out his points. His slick and very visual presentation slides helped illustrate his points.
David’s tips about crowdsourcing included the following:
- Try it. Seriously, just do it!
- Have fun. It’s ok not to take things too seriously.
- Target a specific community. Be very clear about having a target audience. In other words, don’t target everyone and hope for the best.
- Make the work easy — because if it’s not easy, people probably won’t participate.
- Incorporate twee. Humour is always a hit on the interwebz.
- Build relationships with influencers and get them to help you spread the word.
- Do good. People are more likely to participate in worthy causes.