2017 was a year of evolution and experimentation.
At work, my role changed a bit. I moved from writing blog posts for our corporate blog to mostly managing freelance editors who helped us with early drafts of our articles. I started doing copy for landing pages for webinars, e-books, events and everything else in between. I had the opportunity to write many, many emails. I worked with an influencer to write an e-book, which turned out to be very popular. And in collaboration with my colleagues, I crafted the stories for several thought-leadership and customer webinars as well as conference presentations.
On top of all of that, I had the opportunity to re-launch and manage our Google AdWords presence and our early experiments with AdRoll.
So, yeah, I did some pretty cool shit in 2017.
But the most interesting thing I’ve worked on this year had nothing to do with work. I started writing for a new-ish blog, which I tentatively called Thrive. It’s where I share perspectives and tips on productivity, creativity and wellness. Thrive was supposed to be just an experiment, but I found myself really enjoying working on it, so I plan on putting more time towards it in 2018.
Here’s a partial list of the many articles that I worked on this past year.
Meditations on living a healthier, more meaningful life
- This one daily habit can make you healthier, more productive and more creative
- 6 benefits of embracing failure as a young person
- Top 22 tips and takeaways from Tools of Titans
- Why I failed at Tim Ferriss’ Slow Carb Diet, and what I learned from it
- Free guided meditations that don’t suck
- How to stop buying new clothes without (always) looking like a hobo
- Listen to learn: Best podcasts for the curious mind
- Is wealth really worth pursuing?
Q&As with leaders in business, marketing and market research
- How to build a world-class customer intelligence ecosystem: Q&A with NASCAR’s Brooks Deaton
- Infusing the voice of the patient into health care: A Q&A with Cleveland Clinic’s Misti Allison
- Keurig Canada’s Eileen Chen on the influence and ROI of consumer insights
- Wunderman CMO Jamie Gutfreund on creativity, curiosity and the future of advertising agencies
- IBM’s Tyler Kettle on using agile insight to reduce risks in the B2B tech industry
- How to thrive in the media industry: A Q&A with The Wall Street Journal’s Elizabeth Nann
- An ad tech exec on the future impact of AI on marketing
- How 6 marketing leaders plan to improve customer experience
Content strategy and social media marketing
- The new LinkedIn is a social media powerhouse
- Don’t confuse “snackable” with good
- What is comment marketing, and is it an effective marketing tactic?
- Celebrity deaths and real-time marketing are a terrible combo
Business, marketing and research trends
- Top 10 business stories of 2017
- Top 7 customer-centric marketing campaigns of 2017
- How PBS creates marketing campaigns that hit the mark
- Understanding customer pain points is key to Keurig Canada’s competitiveness
- 4 examples of Gen Z marketing (and what they have in common)
- Blockchain, the Internet of Things and other top tech trends for 2018
- Creating a strong CX ecosystem requires partnership between sales and marketing
- When it comes to Gen Z, forget everything you know about brand loyalty
- Why many smart products fail
- CX now trumps brand loyalty, suggests a new study
- Customer experience is mired in mediocrity
- What the world’s most valuable brands do differently
- Online communities are a must-have tool for customer-led marketing decisions: Forrester Consulting
- The end of the app boom, and what it means for mobile research
- What’s causing the retail apocalypse, and what companies can do about it
- How loyal are you to your customers?
- Experiential retailing is the next big thing in activewear
- “On the brink of distrust”: New study urges companies to engage customers and employees
If you enjoyed these posts, please subscribe to my newsletter for regular updates.