It doesn’t happen too often, but sometimes you might need to turn a private Twitter list into a public one. Perhaps you’ve decided to finally share the love and let others subscribe to your list, or perhaps you’ve figured that you want people to know you’ve added them to the list. Whatever the case may be—yes, it’s possible to turn a private list into a public one.
I tried doing it recently and I found that it can be a tricky process. Here’s how to do it:
1. Log-in to your Twitter account. Sorry, you can’t do this one via Hootsuite or any other social media management tool.
2. Click on your name on the left hand side.
3. From your profile page, click “Lists” on the left hand side.
4. Click the name of the list that you’d like to edit.
5. From the Twitter list’s page, click “Edit.”
6. Under “Privacy,” select “Public – Anyone can follow this list.” You’ll notice that you still can’t click the “Save” button.
7. Modify the name of your list. This is important as the “Save” button will remain unclickable unless you change the name. Also, you might need to try to change the name several times for this to work.
8. Click “Save.”
Voila! You’re done!
I hope that in the future, Twitter would make this process easier. In the meantime, I hope this post helps.