Once upon a time, marketing was all about who has the loudest voice. Buy the most newspaper ads and you’ll likely get the biggest market share. Use the largest newswire to release your latest public release and you have the public’s ears.
But then something happened. Customers started tuning out ads. Brands started creating their own content. And people, just in general, started doubting brands.
Rand Fishkin, CEO of SEOmoz, recently uploaded a presentation entitled “Can’t Buy Me Love” on Slideshare. The presentation, which was first presented at Distilled’s Searchlove 2012, walks through SEOmoz’s winning formula for winning people’s hearts — and wallets — without spending a fortune on marketing.
SEOmoz’s winning marketing formula is divided into six major categories:
- Content – Companies should create great content through empathy, graphics, and transparency.
- Search – Ranking #1 isn’t always the goal. Google likes quality.
- Social – Formatting, timing and graphics matter on social media.
- Community – Offline interactions still trump digital.
- Email – Newsletters with other’s people content usually fare better. Something to think about.
- CRO – As an SEOmoz blog post explains, Conversion Rate Optimization (CRO) is simply focusing on the conversion as the core metric when optimizing any particular page. Find out customers’ objections — it’s not necessarily about a button’s colour.
Finally, Fishkin offers the following tips on how to earn your customers’ love:
- It lasts.
- It can’t be bought.
- You gotta earn it.
- You can do it.
To learn more, see the presentation below or download it from Slideshare.